5 value-boosting home improvement projects for the fallMichelle McQuade | November 1, 2019
Fall is more than just the season for apple-picking and taking colorful pictures. It’s also a great time for home improvements. Not only is the fall weather perfect for repairs or renovations, but building materials are also priced lower during this time due to lower demand. Here are 5 value-boosting fall home improvement projects to check out:
- Repair or replace the roof
- Protect the driveway
There’s no way you can make repairs on your roof during the winter. Apart from the risk of slipping, asphalt shingles won’t stay in place during harsh weather. Adhesive sealant will also have a hard time sticking in extremely cold conditions. Give your roof the needed repairs sans the sealant problems while fall temperatures are still manageable. Better yet, get some help from a professional roofer to do the job.
Even your driveway can get damaged by the snow. The constant freezing and thawing may cause cracks to appear. Once this happens, moisture will seep through these cracks and expand upon freezing.
Prevent moisture seepage from ruining your driveway with these tips:
- Pull out all the weeds so that these won’t take root and crack the walkway.
- Place concrete caulk on cracks if your driveway is made of concrete and asphalt crack sealer if it’s asphalt.
- Use polyurethane caulk which prevents water from seeping into cracks.
- Pressure wash the driveway and keep it clean.
You don’t want melting ice soaking the boards of your deck so it’s important to seal it before winter. Here are a few ways to get it winter-ready:
- Tighten or replace loose nails and screws.
- Fill in cracks or splintering areas with epoxy wood filler.
- Power wash the deck when it is above 40° Fahrenheit outside.
- Use water-repellent stain to protect against melting ice.
Repainting your home not only makes it look brand new, but also helps to guard it against the cold and snowy winters of Cleveland. Moreover, temperatures in fall average around 60- to 70° Fahrenheit, making it a favorable time to repaint your exterior. There’s very little rain or snow to worry about during this time so the paint can dry fast and easy.
A broken-down furnace is the last thing you want during winter. Checking your HVAC system while it’s still fall will give you enough time to get ready for the cold. Here are some helpful tips for maintaining your HVAC system:
- Regularly clean the unit.
- Check and remove anything that could block airflow.
- If your unit is outside, get rid of any leaves or other items inside it.
- Replace your air conditioning filter before shutting it down.
- Have it scheduled for a tune-up by a licensed heating and air conditioning contractor. They will inspect, clean, and test the unit to make sure it’s working properly.
Are you looking for ways to improve and boost the value of your home in Cleveland, Ohio? Read our Home Improvement blog articles to learn about energy-efficient features, essential home furniture, revitalizing after winter, and more.
Working with an experienced Realtor in Cleveland, Ohio is the easiest and fastest way to buy a home. Call me, Northeast Cleveland Community Real Estate Expert Michelle McQuade, at 440.823.2448 or send me an email at michellemcquade(at)howardhanna(dotted)com.