Easy home decorating tips for ChristmasMichelle McQuade | December 12, 2019
One of the things that can get you in the mood for the holidays is decking out your home with Christmas décor. Before the Christmas carols, the gift giving, and the sumptuous feasts, set the stage for the holidays with these festive decorating ideas:
- DIY advent calendar – Instead of the usual cardboard boxes, use a wooden ladder, a kitchen garland, or your Christmas tree to hang up a homemade advent calendar. Paint numbers and decorate some muslin craft bags and use them to store toys, treats, and messages from Santa. You’ll be able to use them again next year, too.
- Spruce up your colors – Instead of the usual red-and-green color palette, mix in some non-traditional colors to spice up your interiors. Try mixing in some metals and some vintage elements to create a classic and unique look.
- Use scented candles or plugins – Look for some Christmas-themed scented candles or plugins to complement your holiday décor. Having the scent of fresh pine, gingerbread, hot chocolate, or roasted chestnuts wafting through your living spaces will definitely make it feel like Christmas.
- Create a snowy wreath – Add some berry sprigs, faux greenery, and a few flowers and glittered pinecones to a basic grapevine wreath. Sprinkle some faux snow over the wreath and hang it on your front door to welcome guests during the winter months.
- Use a different way to decorate old ornaments – Have some tree ornaments you no longer use? Instead of keeping them in storage, simply remove the strings or hooks and use them to fill up vases, baskets, or bowls.
- Create a small “Christmas nook” – This tip great for apartment dwellers who want to go big with Christmas decor. Use some chalk to draw a fireplace on a large piece of canvas, and hang it on the wall close to the floor. Add some stockings, place a small rug next to it, and surround your faux fireplace with plush floor cushions and blankets. Place a small Christmas tree next to your faux fireplace to complete your cozy Christmas nook.
- Deck out your banister – Decorating your banister is a great way to add an elegant touch to your home, and it’s easier than you think. Start by measuring the length of your banister and head to your local craft store to look for wired faux evergreen garland. Wrap the garland around the banister to use as a base, then attach small sections of freshly cut greenery into the loops. Add some springs of fresh or faux berries as a finishing touch.
- A creative way to display stockings – Give an old coatrack a fresh red or green coat of paint to turn it into a vibrant spot to hang Christmas stockings. As a finishing touch, ask your kids to write a message to Santa on a small chalkboard, then hang it next to the stockings.