The 2019 Chagrin Hunter Jumper ClassicMichelle McQuade | June 27, 2019
A longtime summer tradition in Northeast Ohio, the Chagrin Hunter Jumper Classic invites visitors to the scenic Cleveland Metroparks Polo Field in Moreland Hills to witness the finest horses and their professional riders compete with some the best equestrians in the region.
Get to see riders of all ages and skill levels compete as the event kicks off with the Schneider Saddlery Opening Weekend, which takes place on Thursday, July 4 to Saturday, July 6, 2019, starting 8 am daily.
In addition to witnessing spectacular performances, spectators also get to partake in a wide array of activities, including boutique shopping, eating at some of the many Cleveland food trucks, and enjoying the entertainment.
About the event
The Chagrin Hunter Jumper Classic is known as the home of North America’s first show jumping grand prix, as well as one of the top charity shows in the nation. Organizers behind the event have a three-pronged mission: to support local charities, host a world-class equestrian event, and generate more interest for equestrian sports.
The first Chagrin Hunter Jumper Classic took place on July 25, 1965, with 29 horses and 20 riders competing in the nation’s first-ever show jumping grand prix. Participants from six different countries competed, but the top prize was won by the United States’ very own Mary Chapot and her mare, “Tomboy.” Chapot received $1,200 of the $3,000 purse.
Today, the total purse for the Chagrin Hunter Jumper Classic has ballooned to a whopping $50,000. The event now draws more than 600 horses from 30 states and several countries, attracts over 10,000 spectators, and contributes almost $3 million to the local economy each year.
The Chagrin Hunter Jumper Classic is also proud to support numerous charities. One of the most notable programs made possible by the event is the annual Riders with Disabilities Horse Show, a collaboration with Fieldstone Farm Therapeutic Riding Center.
Other organizations supported by the Chagrin Hunter Jumper Classicare:
- Area Equine Assisted Riding Facilities
- Chagrin Valley Chamber of Commerce
- Chagrin Valley Jaycees Charitable Foundation
- Cleveland APL
- Cleveland Metropark Rangers Mounted Unit
- Cleveland Metroparks
- Cleveland Mounted Unit
- Cleveland Police Foundation
- Cleveland Trails & Riding Club
- Hershey Montessori School
- Leg Up for Cleveland Kids
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
- Rescue Village/Geauga Humane Society
- St. Paul’s Church
- Western Reserve Land Conservancy
The 2019 Chagrin Hunter Jumper Classic is introducing two new events for visitors to enjoy this year:
- Classic Tailgate Party and Competition – Sponsored by the Chagrin Valley Chamber of Commerce, this fun new event will test your tailgate skills through several categories, including Most Creative, Best Food, Best Mocktail, Best Barn, and Coolest Car.
The Classic Tailgate Party and Competition takes place on Sunday, July 14 from 11 am to 1 pm (setup time for competitors starts at 9 am). Proceeds from the competition will support the charities of Chagrin Hunter Jumper Classic. Visit this page for more information.
- Red Raider Camp Reunion Weekend – The Red Raider Reunion Weekend takes place from July 12 to 14, 2019. Join the Red Raider Riding Stables Tour and see the barns, visit the site of the old dining hall and flag-raising field, enjoy a hike to Silver Creek, and revisit some of the remaining Red Raider sites. The weekend’s main event is the Fox and Billie Smith Memorial Grand Prix Brunch, which is open to the public. Head to this page for more information.
Discover more exciting events, attractions and destinations in Chagrin Falls! Visit this page for more info about the community. Want to work with the top Realtor in Cleveland? Call Michelle McQuade, Cleveland Real Estate Expert, at (440) 823-2448.